" The History of Junction City, Oregon"
Hello Friends,
I got to thinking of the train in the park in the little
town of Junction City. My Dad, Ralph Johnson, lived there during his
junior high and high school days; and my Grandma and Grandma Johnson
lived there until they died. My Grandma and Grandpa Traylor lived about
5 miles from the town, where they operated a little store/gas station
until Grandpa died, and Grandma moved into Eugene, 12 miles away. I
have very fond memories of Junction City, Oregon.
This picture of the high school
basketball team below was taken around 1951 or so. It looks to me that Dad,
(#29 in the back row) was a freshman or perhaps a sophomore. I love how
they all autographed the back of the photo. There is no way they would
have thought that it would have ended up on the internet (the what???):
 |
| Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews |
 |
| Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews |
Now, let's get to the railroad part of
this post. I was lucky enough to find this copy of The Lane County
Historian in a thrift shop several months ago. It is filled with
information about the settling of Junction City, and how the railroad
was crucial its beginning.
 |
| Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews |
 |
| Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews |
This early basketball team played on roller skates in 1910.
 |
| Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews |
I was thrilled to find this 10 minute
historical video about Junction City. Train buffs and history buffs
will enjoy the time it takes to watch it:
Please click on each photo below to enlarge it for better viewing. You can also zoom in once again after you do that:
 |
| Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews |
 |
| Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews |
 |
| Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews |
 |
| Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy ~ Kathy Matthews |
So, there you go. I hope that you enjoyed your visit!
Kathy Matthews
No comments:
Post a Comment